Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I Did It!

This may seem like a small thing to most of you, but to me, I feel like I have just climbed Mt. Everest! Over a year ago, I went to a baby shower and had to leave early because I couldn't stop crying. I haven't ever been so miserable hiding in a bathroom so no one would see my pain and my tear stained shirt. Since then, I have taken a hiatus from all baby showers. Even ones at school that I was in charge of getting together (don't even ask). I would get them ready and find a reason to leave before it all got started.

When I got the invitation to go to Jessica Parsley and baby Annie's "sprinkle" I thought, "OK Emily, you can do this." I hate not going to things because I love the company of good friends, but knowing how horribly I did at the last one I went to, I never wanted to do a replay. So, I put my big girl panties on and went. Guess what?!?! No hurt! Did I wish I could be having one too? Heck yeah! Yet, never once did I feel the complete and utter sadness I had felt over a year ago. With each gift I didn't want to cry, scream, or throw up! When conversations were all about the pain and joy of childbirth, things so many doctors have said I will never experience, I didn't want to cry and wallow in self-pity.

When people do talk about diapers, bottles, hair bows, boys clothes, etc. I do feel something... left out. Not in a middle school sort of way, where I am plotting revenge :), but I feel like a dork sitting there with absolutely NOTHING to add to that type of conversation. It doesn't mean I don't want people to talk about that around me. I promise I am not fragile and it really doesn't bother me. I don't want people walking on eggshells around me, I just hate that I have to sit in silence. Contrary to what a lot people think, I am not quiet and can actually be pretty crazy! :) It amazes me how many people think I am quiet... when I hear that there is a part of me that dies laughing! Just hang around me long enough and you'll see ;)

Anyway, just wanted to share my climbing of Mt. Everest! I am just glad God has healed a part of my heart where I can rejoice with others again and feel so much happiness for those around me who are being blessed with children. There are still broken pieces that won't be able to be put back together until Carter or Ava arrive, but there are little band-aids on there now. I honestly never thought I would be able to say that and really mean it from the bottom of my heart, with God's help and many, many, many prayers, I can.

10 comments:

  1. That is wonderful, sissy! I know it has been so hard for you in the past. I am glad that you went and had a great time. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were there - meant everything I told you last night! Most of all can't wait to rent that elephant for YOUR shower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily it meant SO MUCH to me that you got to come to the shower. I worried about you all evening because I know lots of the conversation turned to babytalk and I know it has to be hard for you. However, I KNOW that one day it will be your turn and we will get to have you the hugest funnest baby shower ever. You are such a strong and special person and I am so thankful that you are a part of my life. I love you so much!!! I can't wait to meet Little Ava or Carter and I know that he/she or both will be spoiled rotten by all of us crazy friends who have waited and prayed along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am so glad I saw this post today! First, I am so glad that you came and I can't wait to be a part of your shower someday soon! Second, it took me FOREVER to fall asleep last night because I got home and felt horrible. It hit me that I felt as if Ella was all I talked about last night to you and I could have died when that thought hit me! I didn't do that on purpose by any means! I even text Alicia (I don't know if she has texting) to see if how I could email or call you. Love you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad you were there....I can't wait to see how we pull off the elephant rides for your shower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you were there last night. And as I told you I know we'll be planning your shower soon. Googling elephant rides as we speak! :-) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being the girl that found you crying in the bathroom I know just how far you have come and I am sooo proud of you! You are awesome! And I am so excited to get to plan Carter/Ava (or both!) baby shower and to spoil them rotten!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAH!! When I saw you in a picture from Stephanie's post, I smiled and thought, "I hope it was okay for her." So glad that it was! Super excited that one day soon, you and Baby Ava/Carter will be in the center of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you were able to be there and enjoy yourself! I can't wait to be able to attend the awesome baby shower that Ava/Carter will have... I'm sure it will be the best yet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have to be the strongest person I know!!! I don't know exactly how you feel, and won't pretend to, but when we tried for so long for Jaxen it seemed so hard to find the "umph" inside to not melt and cry when others talked about a baby, and we were wanting and praying so hard. Again, your situation is so different, but I am so proud of how you work and deal with such a difficult situation. Carter and Ava's baby shower will be like no other...so just keep that in mind...there will be no other shower on earth that will compare, and I just hope I get to be there to witness it! Hang in there, keep the

    ReplyDelete