Monday, December 28, 2009

A long Journey

So I promise not to make this a boring blog, but I thought I would tell a little about the journey we are going through. I feel like people try to avoid talking to me because they are going to upset me by saying something about adoption, babies, etc. I feel though that when people are not saying anything at all is sometimes harder for me to accept. The song "When You Say Nothing At All" doesn't apply to our situation. So, here it all is out in the open and hopefully I will not be hard to approach about this anymore.
We found out last year on Oct. 14 that we were unable to have children. This was extremely hard news to hear and not everyone was very sensitive to it or us, which was hard too. Adam was very hurt by this news as our "issue" stemmed from him. He said a lot of things that would bring a strong man to tears. We struggled through these emotions together, but I wanted to adopt from the get-go, but Adam wouldn't hear of it. This put a huge strain on our relationship. We went for a long time in an emotional funk... words cannot tell you how this felt.
Finally, after several months, we were sitting watching CSI New York of all things and a lady on the show had a baby. This already brought tears to my eyes, as it is hard to see babies period sometimes, but then Adam looked at me and said "it's time... I want to adopt and have a family." This made my heart feel whole again.
We then began searching for adoption agencies. We went to an orientation meeting at one in Mt. Washington. When we went, Adam opened up to the case worker more than he had anyone and at that moment I knew this was the one! We've had to go to CPR training, First Aid training, get physicals, background checks, fingerprints, and even more things I don't want to bore you with. We also have to have 3 home visits in which we have to have childproof things, pictures of cribs, etc., which is heartbreaking to even look at when we do not have any children. Did I mention we have to pay for all of this too? Home visits, all the trainings, plus paying for the final adoption fee... which is EXPENSIVE!!! I know it will be worth it all...
Anyway, we are on our way to having the family we have always dreamed of, but it isn't as easy. Daily, I pray for strength, patience, and understanding of why we are having to go through this, when other people seem to have children so easily.
Please don't get me wrong, God has blessed me more in my life than I have ever deserved. I am so thankful for my salvation, my church, my family, my friends. Yet, there is a missing part and I struggle with this daily.
Thank you for listening and I promise I will not blog something this long again, but I just thought this might help anyone who is wondering what is going on with us, and maybe make us a little more approachable and a little less "fragile." I appreciate all the support and prayers, as we need them daily.

9 comments:

  1. Emily, I think you said it all very well and I admire your ability to be candid. You truly could never know another person's shoes unless you walk in them.

    I wouldn't even BEGIN to compare my journey to yours but there is a small degree of it that I can relate to. I remember a time that it was very painful to see babies and pregnancy and it was an ache and hurt like no other. If nothing else, it taught me to have so much more compassion for those that go through infertility and loss.

    Glad you feel like you can open up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect post ;) I am very proud and amazed of your strength & courage!
    Love you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You're a blogger! I just found it!

    Your post was very well stated. I know that God is preparing that perfect child for you and Adam and am praying that is comes very soon! We love you and are cheering you on every step of this journey.

    Thanks for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...you do not know how glad I was to wake up this morning and see that you have a blog!!! You know that I support you and Adam and pray for you all the time! I have always told you that with your amazing courage and strength in God that I truly feel he will take care of you guys. I just know that God is preparing a perfect little wonder to make your home complete and I cannot wait for he/she to get here! Thanks so much for sharing your journey, and know that I love you guys more than you will ever know! I am so thankful that my girls have such wonderful aunts and uncles! Please come soon and shoot some hoops with Hallie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! I'm so glad you are blogging! I sent you an email so check your inbox:) Can't wait to meet our new neice or nephew! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you sissy! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you have a blog!

    You and Adam will be wonderful parents!! Best wishes on Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog through Allie's. Praying for you and Adam; look forward to seeing you and Adam as parents. I love the blog picture of you two on your front porch. : ) Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily, I really admire you! You have really done me a lot of good in church. It seems like you have gotten so close since your troubles when a lot of people would drift away from church. I know God will give you just what you need! LOve you guys!

    ReplyDelete